Things I do ...

And other randomness.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Oh the sins.

Yesterday's news:
Sony Pictures Entertainment must pay $1.5 million to settle a class-action lawsuit accusing the studio of citing a fake movie critic in ads for several films.
Moviegoers who saw the films "Vertical Limit," "A Knight's Tale," "The Animal," "Hollow Man" or "The Patriot" during their original theater runs must file a claim to be eligible for a $5 per ticket reimbursement, lawyer Norman Blumenthal said Tuesday. He represented a group of filmgoers who sued Sony Pictures in 2001

Read more here.

Does Sony not know you can simply bribe a critic to say nice things about their movies?
Journalists can be bought, everyone knows that, ask the politicians.
I've always wondered that about trailers, who are these people giving calling some terribly crappy movie 'best of the year'?
Another thing I note is critics from the same conglomerate that releases the movie, giving it a rave review. Not to pick on anyone specific, but if a ABC employed critic gives Disney movie a rave, does that even count? Surely he/she could've just liked the movie, but maybe their boss won't be too happy if they give the truth.
For some reason the main goal of big movie studios seems to be to trick moviegoers into seeing their movie, not actually making a good movie.
Let's look at Stealth for example (being that it's an easy target but I've been dying to pick on it none the less), big advertising budget, and a huge production budget of $100,000,000 I always wonder if studios really think making a movie about a terminator plane is a good idea. Perhaps they just get cocky after Kangaroo Jack or Bring It On become huge success and think we can turn any turd into a Christmas ornament.

1 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Olga said...

Wow look at those pics and it says 'click to enlarge' but that doesn't work for me. They really do look happy working on a beach. Maybe I should give this a try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home